Friday, July 6, 2012

Questioning

Back before cancer #2, I was the obedient patient and obeyed orders without questions,  took my meds and came back for appointments as requested. I don't do that any more. I ask questions and want explanations for things. It turns out I am not alone.

A few weeks ago I got together with a bunch of friends who all had been through the same breast cancer support group with me five years ago.  One of them is now dealing with another cancer diagnosis. We were out to dinner and talking about treatments and doctors and our opinions. We amazed ourselves at how outspoken we were. We were telling our doctors what we want for treatment, protocol, testing, and much more.

But we earned this. We have been through enough scans, tests, medical adventures, and other fun, we know what we are dealing with and want it on our terms.

2 comments:

Nancy's Point said...

I say good for you! Being outspoken, asking questions and wanting answers is the only way to "walk" in cancerland. You've earned that right and more.

Catherine said...

Sounds as though experience makes all the difference. If you’ve got to cope, better to do so on your own terms.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...