Friday, March 24, 2017

Damn The Mutations, Full Speed Ahead

So now they want to tell us that cancer is mostly the result of genetic mutations, as opposed to other factors. I'm not sure how much of this I want to believe but I'll just say 'damn the mutations, full speed ahead'.

Cancer causes are supposedly:
  • 66% - mutations when cells replace themselves
  • 29% -  environmental factors
  • 5% - hereditary factors
So can we stop blaming our parents and our bad diets, and just assume none of it is our fault? Probably not.

As a normal part of life, cells divide and multiply and little mistakes happen all the time. Its just that sometimes they turn into cancer....

"Lifestyle factors still matter for cancer prevention.
Just one mutation is not sufficient to cause cancer -- typically three or more mutations must occur, Tomasetti noted. If, say, your cells miscopy DNA and so cause two random mutations, a third mutation is still needed. Obesity, smoking, lack of exercise and poor eating habits might supply that necessary third gene defect that tips your body into a disease state."

So go eat a salad, quit smoking, and go to the gym. And for those of us who were already doing all of those and still got cancer, can we please just blame bad luck and not blame ourselves?

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...