Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Am I or Will I Get Better?

I get asked often, am I getting better? Have any of my doctors found a miraculous treatment for me?

The answers are and always will be a big fat 'no'.

There are different kinds of ailments out there. They are (in my non medical terminology):
  • Acute - an ailment which happens and gets better. Think a cut, the flu, appendicitis, Lyme disease.
  • Chronic - an ailment which occurs and lasts and lasts and lasts. Think things like arthritis, fibromyalgia, degenerating disks, etc.
  • Terminal - an ailment which will kill you. "Terminal illnesses or infections are considered incurable when there are no conservative therapies available which will eliminate it from the body." Think cancer*, untreatable MRSA infections, etc. 
My medical history includes several chronic ailments that have no cures to date but are treated to minimize deformations and relieve pain. These are: rheumatoid arthritis, degenerating disk disease, and fibromyalgia. Then I get to add a couple of cancers on top of that as well as significant injuries which are not repairable (think bad knees). Every so often I get an acute ailment like the flu to add to the fun.

My treatments all focus on making me feel better. But nothing will cure all of me. So no, I will not get better. But thanks for asking.

*Cancer gets the asterisk here because sometimes cancers are treated as chronic after standard treated. You can never be sure you got all the cancer out of your body. 

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...