Saturday, April 8, 2017

Being High Risk

Normal people get exposed to something and they get told 'call us if there are any changes in whatever it is that is bothering them'. They get sent home basically with a 'take two options and call me in the morning'.

Me? I'm not a normal person. With my medical history? Of course not.

We live in a wooded area with lots of deer and mice outside. Our two cats like to go in and out and in and out and in and out. They bring us home presents and usually leave them outside. But sometimes they don't.

Yesterday I came home from the gym and took a shower. The cats went in and out and in and out. I decided it was time to treat them for fleas and ticks - the beginning of the season. They were mad at me because they don't like getting the drops on the backs of their necks. After I dosed him,  I picked up Evil Kitty and held him for a minute so he would stop pouting.

Fast forward to dinner time and my husband saw a red spot on my stomach.... What was it? A tick. Of course, I get a stupid effing deer tick.

I decided to go to the walk in clinic this morning to make sure it wasn't a big deal. So if you get a deer tick bite, it is more concerning when the ticks are attached for more than 48 hours. My tick was on me for about 4 hours at most.

Because (of my medical history) I am high risk (for everything), I was also given the basic anti-Lyme disease antibiotics in a single dose. 200 mg of doxycycline which was enough to make me nauseous.

So now I get to wait and see if I get Lyme disease. Most of the symptoms would be exactly what I have already - joint aches and pains, stiff neck, etc. So the one telling one for me will be chills and a fever.

And the antibiotics made me nauseous.

I'm so excited I can't wait!

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...